Thursday 29 September 2016

Spinach & Chickpea Quenelles

This is another of those recipes that I don't measure the ingredients for!  I am posting it here as a reminder to myself that this worked because I once made some of these quenelles using garden peas and now I can't remember how I made them!! :)

For this recipe I used ... approximately
250g baby leaves of spinach
3 large homegrown, blow-your-socks-off spring onions
2 cloves of garlic
a handful of mixed nuts
a 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
1 heaped tbsp crunchy peanut butter
3 slices of white bread
100g mature cheddar, grated
spices
seasoning
1 large egg

1.  Preheat oven to 190'C.
2.  Fill a food processor bowl with the spinach, chickpeas, nuts and peanut butter.  Dot the latter around the mixture so help distribute it.  Blitz until roughly chopped.  Just enough to that the mixture will hold together in the quenelles, but with a few lumps left for texture.  Place mixture in a large bowl.
3.  Finely slice the onions and chop the garlic.  Add to the mixture in the bowl.
4.  Place bread in processor and turn into breadcrumbs.  Add the dried spices and seasoning to the crumbs as this helps to distribute them evenly.  This time I used turmeric, smoked paprika, ground cumin and chilli flakes.
5.  Add crumbs and spices to the spinach and mix well.
6.  Add the beaten egg and mix.  The ingredients should start to hold together and shaping them will complete the task.
7.  Using two dessertspoons, shape the mixture into quenelles.  I find it is less messy than using my hands to make them into balls! :)
8.  Place on a lined baking tray and bake for approximately 12 minutes.

Any leftovers can be chilled and frozen.  To use, I bake from frozen covered with foil, at 190'C for 10-12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment