Thursday 27 February 2014

Gluten-free Chocolate and Almond Muffins

I borrowed this book "Primrose Bakery Celebrations" from our local library and this is the first recipe I have tried from it.  If the rest are as delicious I will be buying this book!  I have slightly tweaked the instructions, but the ingredients are the same.
In the book the muffins are decorated with butter icing, but we have enjoyed them without it.


Makes 12 muffins

125g unsalted butter
125g dark chocolate (I used Dr O, as it claims to be gluten-free)
4 large eggs, separated
125g golden caster sugar (I used ordinary caster sugar)
125g ground almonds

1.  Preheat oven to 160'C fan.  Line a muffin tray with 12 paper cases.
2.  Melt together chocolate and butter.  I did this in my microwave on the medium setting, at 30 second bursts, stirring each time.  Set aside to cool slightly.
3.  In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy.  I used my hand held electric whisk.
4.  Fold in ground almonds with a metal spoon.
5.  In a separate bowl (or processor) whisk egg whites until at soft peak stage.
6.  Fold cooled chocolate mixture into almond mixture.
7.  Gently fold in whisked egg whites, again with a metal spoon.
8.  Divide evenly between paper cases and bake for approximately 20-22 minutes.  Test with a skewer.
9.  Allow to cool in tin for 10 minutes, then remove to wire rack.  Can be decorated once completely cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment