Monday, 21 December 2009
This is my own version of Rocky Road, inspired by a couple of different recipes that I have read recently.
4oz dried cranberries
3tbsp amaretto liqueur
14oz dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa)
4.5oz unsalted butter, softened
4tbsp golden syrup
4oz white mini marshmallows
4oz walnuts, roughly chopped
7oz crunchy amaretti biscuits, crushed into large and small pieces
1. You need to start this recipe the night before by soaking the cranberries in the liqueur. By morning they will be plump and taste delicious.
2. Slowly melt the chocolate, butter and syrup in a medium-sized saucepan.
3. Remove from the heat and put 5oz of the mixture to one side.
4. To the mixture left in the saucepan add the soaked cranberries, marshmallows, chopped walnuts and lastly the crushed biscuits. The marshmallows can be omitted for vegetarian Rocky Road. Mix well.
5. Turn mixture into a foil-lined and greased large (roasting) tray. Spread evenly and smooth the top with the reserved chocolate mixture.
6. Decorate with Christmas sprinkles and place in the fridge for a couple of hours to set.
7. Once set, remove from the tray and cut into squares. Place in a plastic box and keep in the fridge until needed. Can be served straight from the fridge.