Monday 9 February 2009

Apple and Mincemeat Crumble with Custard

Fruit crumble and custard is such a traditional English dessert and I often make it with homegrown rhubarb, blackcurrants, gooseberries, foraged blackberries and apples from my parent's garden. This weekend I used bought Bramley apples and homemade mincemeat.



8 oz plain flour, I prefer wholemeal for a nutty taste
4 oz hard margarine
4oz granulated sugar
fruit/mincemeat
Preheat oven to 180'C and slice fruit into a serving dish. I like to soften my fruit for 5 minutes in the microwave before it goes into my fan oven, but this isn't strictly necessary. If using mincemeat, place a few spoonfuls on top of the apples.
In a separate bowl rub margarine into flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in sugar. Sometimes I add some oats to the mixture at this stage. Spoon mixture onto fruit and cook for approximately 20 minutes.

For the custard

1 rounded dsp of granulated sugar

2 rounded dsps of custard powder

3/4 pint of milk, full fat or semi skimmed.

Traditionally made in a saucepan on the hob, but I make mine in the microwave.

Place sugar and powder in jug and stir in a small amount of milk. When well mixed stir in remainder of milk. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, stirring halfway through. If making in a saucepan stir until it comes to the boil and has thicken.

1 comment:

  1. Have just made the apple and mincemeat crumble.yummy!

    ReplyDelete